About Me

My photo
My name is Craig and I'm currently a senior illustration student at Ringling College of Art and Design. I am available for freelance work, just contact me at csmith1@c.ringling.edu

Friday, May 20, 2011

Nothing But Change

So I've been pretty inactive on this blog; glancing at the posts makes that pretty obvious. Things be changin' though. Most specifically, I've re-awakened a passion for design thats lay dormant for awhile. I spent most of my junior year doing things I didn't like, muddling around trying to do a little bit of everything. It took nearly 3 years at Ringling to remind myself why I got into this is in the first place, and now its becoming incredibly obvious to me. My goal was to somehow meld my passion for music and art-making, without having to give up one or the other. I actually heavily considered going to school for music production when considering colleges back in high school. However, my desire to develop my visual communication skills won that debate, mostly due to my lag of technical ability in music theory and playing instruments. I haven't regretted my decision at all so far, but I have realized I still have too much interest in music to give it up completely. So here I am, starting at the end of my junior year, trying to redirect my focus with the hope that I can eventually create work inspired by, and for, music. That sounds incredibly vague and a little naive, but I'm already taking steps to learn more about advertising and design in general. I'm currently interning at Citymind Web Design for the summer, and things are moving fast. My hope is that I can spend the summer and senior year really honing in on the work that I really want to be doing. So my advice to others who are struggling with trying to figure out where to go; don't let other people's ideas about art, illustration, design, fine art, or anything else keep you from doing the stuff you want to do.

TLDR; DO THE TYPE OF WORK YOU WANT TO BE DOING.

Now here's some content from the last 6 months.










P.S. This will be my last post on here for a while, as I'll be posting stuff I'm doing weekly on a tumblr created for experimenting/fucking around. I'll post the link up here when its ready.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Craig, great stuff to hear. I'm glad you rekindled this lost-and-found love for design. I felt that I did the same thing towards the end of this semester with Children's Art. I sort of realized that after my meet with Carter's.

    I know what you mean about music and art being so synthesized together. For me, it's like the two can't even breathe without each other (I recently, as of yesterday, just re-arranged my room to fit my drums back in with all my art and computer stuff).

    Great job on doing what you enjoy. I really like what you're doing with incorporating typography into your work. Those posters with the cities and weird tree/mountain things are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the "do the things you want to" rant. It's important and good (how articulate of me). Also the "you can't go home again" picture is seriously awesome. Your stuff is looking excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch, guys :) It was a little long-winded, but I felt like it was such an obvious conclusion to come to after a few years of "doing things I should be doing". Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.

    ReplyDelete